Megans Moneysaving Madness: Should I Print That Coupon?

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Should I Print That Coupon?

Printing coupons can end up costing an arm and a leg if you print every coupon you see.

Using an inkjet printer, the ink cost is 10-15 cents for each page printed.  Refilling cartridges can save money, but are notorious for clogging heads.  This can sometimes be fixed by rubbing a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol over the heads, but if that doesn't resolve problems, clogged heads can lead to a costly repair or purchase of a new printer.

Reams of paper typically cost $5 for 250 sheets and $10 for 500 sheets.  That's a unit cost of 2 cents per page. Watch for sales to save on this expense or pick up scratch paper from an office.  The paper doesn't have to be white, but avoid red or red based colors as this will interfere with scanners.  I have been using light green paper given to me by an office that would have otherwise thrown it out. Post a scratch paper "Want" on freecycle if you don't have anyone in an office who could bring it to you.

In paper and ink, printing a single coupon costs 12-17 cents! As a result, I've developed a few rules to help me reign in my paper and ink costs.

I print only coupons for $1 or more with these exceptions:
  • Coupon is 1/2 or more of an item's value
  • Coupon is not available elsewhere
  • If the printable coupon is worth more than the newspaper coupon subtract 15 cents. If its still a significant difference, print it.
  • Coupon stacks with a store coupon (or vice versa)
  • Coupon combines with Register Rewards, ECBs, etc for a money maker
  • Printing from a coupon site where 2-3 coupons per-page are printed
I'll always list any printable coupon for products in my matchups so that you can make your own decision about whether or not it's worth printing. I hope the rules I follow help you start thinking about the best way to use your ink and paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment